How Much Protein Should You Eat?
To estimate your daily needs, multiply your weight by 0.5-0.75 g protein/pound (1.0-1.5 g/kg). If you are restricting calories or are a novice exerciser who is building new muscles, your protein needs are a little higher, but 1 gram of protein/lb (2 g/kg) is more than enough!
• If you weigh ~120 lbs, the suggested intake is ~60-90 grams protein per day; 90-120 grams if dieting or starting to lift weights seriously.
• If you weigh ~160-lbs, the suggested intake is ~80-120 grams protein per day; 120-180 if dieting or starting to lift weights seriously.
Wow- that is definitely more than I have been eating. My sister gave me a recipe for Vegetable Quiche Cups from the South Beach Diet. I think I will make these as a nutritious quick protein snack or meal. I might just add one or two to my breakfast along with my FIXX shake.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 3/4 cup liquid egg substitute
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheese
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 3 drops hot-pepper sauce (optional)
- Microwave the spinach for 2 1/2 minutes on high. Drain the excess liquid.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with foil baking cups. Spray the cups with cooking spray.
- Combine the egg substitute, cheese, peppers, onions, and spinach in a bowl. Mix well. Divide evenly among the muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Quiche cups can be frozen and reheated in the microwave. Any combination of appropriate vegetables and reduced-fat cheeses may be used.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving
- Total Fat: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Sodium: 195mg
- Total Carbs: 3.5g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 9.6g